due diligence: noun

1. the care that a reasonable person exercises under the circumstances to avoid harm to other persons or their property

2. research and analysis of a company or organization done in preparation for a business transaction
(definition from Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary)

Friday, December 18, 2009

You don't get 24 hours to say Thank You

What is the protocol for saying "Thank You"? When I receive a gift, I always say thank you, even before I open it, simply because the thought someone has to give me a gift is what I appreciate the most. I then say thank you again after I open it, usually by writing a note, sending an email, or making a phone call. The vehicle through which the thank you is communicated depends on the relationship I have with the gift-giver and the occasion on which the gift was given.

When gifts are received at baby showers, weddings, or graduations; thank you notes can take weeks before ever reaching the hands of the gift-giver. I was taught you must call or send a note to say "Thank You" even on birthdays and on Christmas. But I have always thought the window of making that contact with the gift-giver was between 24-48 hours. Apparently, with the technology we have available today, communications of thanksgiving are now expected to be received within 24 hours of receiving the gift.

I just wanted to do my due diligence in communicating to you this change in interpersonal edict.

You're Welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment